Electives powered by eDynamics differ from Plato Courses. Electives are courses that have an interactive format, including games, videos, and animations and have "Ed" in the course name.
The list of all active eDynamics Electives (including teacher guides) are here: eDynamics (Ed) Electives
- Engaging Content
Each course is written in a simple, descriptive manner to keep students engaged with the content. Key concepts and key words are highlighted in bold to help learners identify the central ideas of a course.
- Contemporary Graphics
Online content is richly illustrated with modern animations.
- Lab Activities
Captivating and insightful videos highlight key concepts.
- Review Games
A review game in each unit gives learners the opportunity to boost their scores.
Other Features and Functionality
Unit Objectives provide an outline of the topics that will be covered in a unit.
A Reflect feature provides learners with questions to help them review what they have learned and deepen their understanding of the topics covered in the unit.
Test Questions consist of review questions, critical thinking questions, and discussion questions. Learners submit their answers through the digital drop box for grading. An assessment report cannot be generated after learners answer the assessment questions.
Lab Questions provide links to videos or articles for learners to study. Questions accompany each link.
The Quiz Game allows learners to improve their scores by taking a quiz. Generally in a word game format, the quiz calls on learners to come up with the correct answers in a limited period of time.
A Podcast is available at the end of each unit.
A typical Edmentum Electives course has eight to ten units of curriculum content, a midterm, and a final exam. A typical unit also contains these features:
- two homework assignments (submitted through the Drop Box)
- two discussion assignments (submitted through the Drop Box)
- one quiz (15 questions randomly pulled from a database of 25 questions that are automatically graded)
The syllabus for each Electives course contains additional information. An elective course is one semester in length and ranges from 90-110 hours of instruction or 16-18 weeks.
The course structure is uniform across all Edmentum Electives, except for Digital Photography I and II, Gothic Literature, and Great Minds and Science.
- Digital Photography I and II: This course includes three homework assignments; the extra task is a photography assignment.
- Gothic Literature: Every unit in this course follows a different structure. The course has one homework assignment. Students will also read and study three novels and the poems of Edgar Allan Poe (links to these works are provided). The course has lengthy literature study questions formatted in a PDF that can be filled out and saved.
- Great Minds and Science: This course has one homework assignment that combines Test Questions and Lab Questions.
Comparing Edmentum Electives and Edmentum Courses
|Edmentum Electives||Edmentum Courses|
|Unit Summary at the beginning of each unit.||Yes||No|
|Pretests, posttests, and mastery tests for each lesson||No||Yes|
|Drop Box functionality||Yes||Yes|
|Activities can be submitted all at once||No||Yes|
Edmentum Electives reports can be accessed as needed for individual learners. The Learner Progress, Graphic Learner Progress, and Grade Reports can be generated in Courseware in the same way that they are generated for traditional Courses. Click on a report below for more information.