Content in PLATO Learning Environment® (PLE) and PLATO Courseware can have several different formats and functionality.
Courses vs. Titles
PLATO content titles are curriculum level learning paths which provide flexibility for all aspects of secondary instruction: remediation, credit recovery, credit accrual, and credit acceleration. The flexibility works in traditional school settings (mainstream instruction, supplemental instruction, pull-out labs, etc.), distance learning situations, or alternative schools. Sometimes the names of PLATO titles and PLATO courses are similar, such as Geometry 1 and PLATO Course Geometry Semester A.
PLATO courses are also learning paths and feature the following:
- PLATO content sequenced into semester courses.
- Course level assessments (CLA) including a pretest and posttest in each until along with an end of semester test at the end of the course.
- Offline instructional materials and web-based activities.
Note: PLATO Titles are only available in Custom Course Builder in PLATO Courseware 3.5.
See the link below for more information on mastering modules in PLATO content:
See the link below for more information on exemptions in PLATO content:
PLATO course pretests allow the student to be exempted only out of modules that have mastery tests.
By design, some modules in PLATO courses contain only an Offline Activity, and a Record Completion activity that allows the Learner to record the fact that they have completed the Offline Activity. Other modules have tutorials, applications, and mastery tests, or a similar structure.
Some modules in reading prescriptions or other learning paths come from Beginning Reading (K-3) and Reading Explorations (4-6), which include tutorial, practice, and quiz sections within a single activity. These sections are not visible on the PLE Learner menu, but rather within the lesson activities. Likewise, some math activities come from Math Expeditions (K-8), which are structured the same way.
The quiz must be passed with a score of 80% or better to achieve mastery for the lesson. The activity will remain In Progress until mastery status is achieved.
Pretests, posttests, and end of semester tests
In general, only PLATO courses use unit pretests, unit posttests, and end of semester tests. Most PLATO titles do not have these activities, but Foundational Mathematics with Assessments do include unit pretests. Also, Beginning Reading and Math Expeditions each have what are called a Skills Inventory at the beginning of each level; these are equivalent to unit pretests.
Despite the titles, Life Science with Assessments, Physical Science with Assessments, and Earth and Space Science with Assessments do not contain unit pretests; in this case, "assessments" refers to the practice tests and mastery tests within each module.
See the link below for more information on course level assessments:
PLATO Electives Content
See the link below for more information on features and functionality in PLATO elective content:
PLATO Stars Content
Refer to PLATO Stars Courses for more information on the courses and their features and functionality.
Refer to How to tell which Content Player is being used in Plato Content for more information on the types of content.
Units in a PLATO course can be completed in any order. It's recommended Learners take the pretest for a unit and then complete the corresponding modules followed by the posttest for the unit. The end of semester test should be taken only after all units are complete.
Some PLATO content titles use prerequisite settings to require completion of the tutorial, which presents the concepts, before the Student is allowed to run the application, practice or additional tutorials, which require the concepts presented initially in the tutorial. Before the Learner completes the prerequisite, the application (or other activity) is initially grayed out on the learner menu.
In the list below, the types of activities are indicated for each title: application, practice, etc.
- Foundational Mathematics with Assessments - Practices
- Algebra 1 and 2 - Applications
- Geometry 1 and 2 - Applications
- Data Skills for Today - Applications
- Miscellaneous Math Resource - Applications
- Essential Reading Skills - Applications
- Fundamental and Intermediate Reading Strategies - Applications
- Essential, Fundamental, Intermediate, Adv. Writing Process & Practice:
- Grammar and Mechanics - Applications
- Writing Strategies - Tutorials 2 and 3
- Informational Reading - Applications
- Workplace Writing - Applications
- Biology Series - Applications
- Chemistry Series - Applications
- Life Science with Assessments - Applications and Practice Tests
- Physical Science with Assessments - Applications and Practice Tests
- Earth and Space Science Assessments - Applications and Practice Tests
- Business Basics - Practices
|How to get more help|
Keep your implementation on track. As part of your Edmentum partnership, we provide ongoing training through our comprehensive collection of virtual workshops delivered on-demand. Whether you’re an advanced user who needs more detailed support to meet a specific need, or brand new to the Edmentum suite of services, we have a workshop for you.
Click here to register today for Edmentum Virtual Workshops!