Chromebooks provide a simple and effective way of teaching in the classroom. See below for details of how Chromebooks can be used to interact with Edmentum solutions. This article can also be applied to Android devices.
- The Chrome browser on Chromebooks functions similarly to Chrome on a Windows laptop or PC computer. Due to the hardware architecture, some limitations do exist.
- Learners will not have significant issues running the majority of content for PLATO, Study Island, Reading Eggs, or EducationCity on a Chromebook or in the Chrome browser.
Chrome is retiring support of many NPAPI plug-ins. Read the knowledge article below to see how this will affect Plato Courseware:
Chrome and NPAPI Plug-ins
Supported Chromebook file types:
Much of Plato content is delivered via compatible file types. This is an overview of the types supported by Chromebooks.
- Batch Upload of Users for Administrators: Chromebooks can save, but not edit CSV files, which will limit Chromebook users from being able to batch upload students and teachers to Edmentum programs that require the import file in a CSV format.
- Pop-up Blockers for Students: Turn off the pop-up blocker for *.ple.platoweb.com to allow progress data to update the LMS
Remote Access on a Chromebook
For more information on potential solutions please view the chapter on Remote Access and Virtualization in the Chrome Devices for Education Technical Planning Guide (PDF).
Troubleshooting Chromebook Issues (links to Google's support pages):
Use the guides below to address common Chromebook questions and issues. Please also review the list of current known issues.
Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides are productivity apps that let you create different kinds of online documents, work on them in real time with other people, and store them in your Google Drive online — all for free. You can access the documents, spreadsheets, and presentations you create from any computer, anywhere in the world.
- Make sure your file is supported. Chromebooks can only open .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, and .pptx files.
- Save Office files to the 2007 version of Office or later. When trying to edit files created with Office 2003 (or older), you’ll be asked to upgrade these documents to a more recent version of Office before editing or saving further changes.
- Make sure files aren’t corrupted or password-protected.
- Ensure your files do not exceed size limits. Some files, especially large spreadsheets, may be too large to open.
- Make sure the Native Client plug-in is enabled. To check the plug-in, type
about:pluginsinto the address bar (omnibox) and make sure “Native Client” is marked as enabled.
- Reload the tab that contains your file.
- Close and re-open the Files app, then try opening your file again.
- Restart your Chromebook, then try opening the file again.
Digital Drop Box Activities and Chromebooks
Because Chromebooks utilize the In-Browser Word Processing programs of Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides, submitting Digital Drop Box Activities can be a bit confusing. Below are the steps for a student to download a document saved to their Google Drive and then submit it in a Digital Drop Box Activity.
- While your document is open in Google Docs, click File, and then click Download As, and then select Microsoft Word (.docx). This will download the file into your Downloads folder, creating a local copy.
- Log into Edmentum and navigate to the activity you are needing to upload the file for.
- Click Upload New File, and then click Choose File from the window that appears. This will open a window directly to your Downloads folder.
- Click the document you want to upload and then click Open in the lower right hand corner of the screen.
- Finally, click Upload File to complete the process.
|How to get more help|
Keep your implementation on track. As part of your Edmentum partnership, we provide ongoing training through our comprehensive collection of virtual workshops delivered on-demand. Whether you’re an advanced user who needs more detailed support to meet a specific need, or brand new to the Edmentum suite of services, we have a workshop for you.
Click here to register today for Edmentum Virtual Workshops!